- * Please check with us for tour availability during winter months.
Our Original & Most Popular Tour
See the sights and hear about Melbourne's colourful history
Freddy’s Classic Melbourne City Bike Tour is a 4.5 hour relaxing bicycle ride around Melbourne. This is a great ride for everyone being 90% off roads on safe bike paths and parks. You get a great orientation of Melbourne and surrounding suburbs and discover key landmarks that make this one of the worlds most liveable cities year after year.
Whether you’re new to this great city or have lived here your entire life, you will be guaranteed to learn all facets of Melbourne in this one all-encompassing tour: Melbourne’s “founding”, the Aboriginals, the Eureka Stockade, our war history, the significance of sport and much more.
We also include a stop in Fitzroy at one of our favorite cafes for lunch! (Please bring some extra cash for lunch.)
The tour starts daily at 11am and goes for about 4.5 hours. During breaks, our guides will give you great tips on what to do whilst in town such as what’s on, and where and what to eat. Join our guides and other travellers from around the world for an experience to remember forever!
- Beach cruiser or City style bike with easy gears and comfy seat (or upgrade to an E-bike for $25 extra)
- Experienced Local guide
- Free use of WiFi in our shop
- Bag & Luggage storage while you're on tour.
- Stop for lunch at a great Fitzroy Bar (cost not included)
All bike tours meet at our shop in Batman Park next to the Yarra River in Melbourne. You will see our red bikes lined up out the front or our guides getting people ready on there bikes. You can catch a free Melbourne CBD tram to either Batman Park or the Melbourne Aquarium.
- The Yarra River The lower stretches of The Yarra River, or historically the Yarra Yarra River, where the city of Melbourne was established in 1835 and today Greater Melbourne dominates and influences the landscape.
- Botanical Gardens The Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne are internationally renowned botanical gardens located near the centre of Melbourne. They are 38 hectares of landscaped gardens consisting of a mix of native and exotic vegetation including over 10,000 species.
- Shrine of Remembrance Built as a memorial of Victorians who served in World War I and now a memorial to all Australians who have served in war. One of the largest war memorials in Australia it hosts annual observances of ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day.
- Old Melbourne Gaol Was first constructed starting in 1839, and during its operation as a prison between 1842 and 1929, it held and executed some of Australia’s most notorious criminals, including bushranger Ned Kelly and serial killer Frederick Bailey Deeming.
- MCG & Melbourne Sporting Prescient The MCG, often referred to by locals as “The G” is the 11th-largest stadium in the world, the largest in the Southern Hemisphere. The centrepiece of the 1956 Olympics, 2006 Commonwealth Games and 1992 Cricket World Cup.
- Melbournes Hidden Laneways A favourite with many on this tour we take our time to explore the diverse range of street art and associated subcultures through some hidden laneways in Melbourne’s CBD.
- Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens According to the World Heritage listing the Royal Exhibition Buildings and Carlton Gardens are “of historical, architectural, aesthetic, social and scientific (botanical) significance to the State of Victoria.
- The electric suburb of Fitzroy Fitzroy has a thriving street art community and many small commercial art galleries, artist-run spaces and artist studios. A hub for live music in Melbourne, and plays host to several prominent venues.
- China Town Melbourne’s Chinatown originated during the Victorian gold rush in 1851. It has also been claimed to be the longest continuously running Chinese community outside of Asia, but more about that on the tour.
And some secrets we will keep for the day Of course we would not tell you everything here but we always make sure we show you some special places close to our hearts around town and always include some local stories to keep you entertained.
Here you will find answers to many of our FAQs about this tour. You can also find more information in our General FAQ section here.
Are reservations required for this tour? Reservations are recommended, but not required. We suggest that you book in advance so that you are guaranteed a spot on the tour, and also to help us better plan for the day of your tour. If you do not have a reservation don’t worry, just come on by our shop and we will get you on tour, provided that there is space.
What do I need to bring with me on tour? Be sure to bring your camera and some cash for the lunch break. We also recommend that you bring an extra layer of clothing in case it get’s chilly during the tour. There is a luggage rack on our bikes so you can easily carry some small items with you.
Do I need to reserve a bike separately? No- the bike is included with the bike tour, so just bring yourself and we will take care of the rest!
Can I take an E-bike on the tour? Yes! For $25 extra you are welcome to take one of our electric bikes. You can select to upgrade on the booking page.
Do we stop for lunch? Yes, we will make a stop for lunch during the tour. Please remember that the cost of food is not included in the tour price, so make sure to have some cash with you.
Is this tour appropriate for kids? Our tours are great options for families and kids are very welcome. We have several types of kids’ bikes, seats, and helmets to make sure everyone of all sizes is comfortable on tour.
What if I haven’t ridden a bike in a while? Don’t worry, it’s just like riding a bike! Our tours move at a very comfortable pace so don’t worry if you are a bit rusty. If you are worried about being comfortable on the bike, feel free to stop by the shop a bit early and you can take a few practice laps.
What happens if it rains? The tour will still run in case of light rain so come prepared with a poncho or jacket and we will be fine.
SHRINE OF REMEMBRANCE
MELBOURNE CRICKET GROUND
Not what you're after? Check out our other tours...